Department of Environmental Studies, Huxley College of the Environment
The Geographic Information Science Certificate provides students with in-depth training in Geographic Information Science theory and techniques. Through an intensive series of courses in GIS, statistics, and remote sensing and the completion of original research projects, students will gain advanced skills in the development, management, analysis, and visualization of spatial data. Many classes are offered only once per year and must be taken in sequence, so careful planning with an advisor is recommended.
Why Consider a Certificate in Geographic Information Science?
The certificate prepares students for careers as geospatial analysts and GIS technicians, and is a valuable complement to many majors.
GIS Technician | GIS Analyst | GIS Manager | Geospatial Analyst | Cartographer | Geographer
How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):
Admission to the GIS Certificate is competitive and space is limited. Applications are accepted only once each academic year in the late winter, usually in February. To apply, submit the following:
- Letter of intent stating a) why you are interested in completing the GIS Certificate, b) how your prior education and work experience has prepared you for the GIS Certificate, and c) your career goals.
- Include your name, major(s), minor(s), year (e.g., Jr.), current GPA, and planned date of graduation.
- Portfolio of your GIS analysis and cartographic work, including at least two maps.
- Resume outlining your education and professional history.
- Unofficial WWU transcripts, plus Official Transcripts from other institutions if you previously completed relevant coursework at another institution.
- Non-matriculated individuals must complete the Special Student Enrollment form, found on WWU’s website by typing “special student enrollment” in the search field. Please contact the WWU’s Registrar’s office at 360-650-3432 for the particular dates of acceptance of these forms. Aside from regular tuition and course fees, there is a small additional enrollment fee associated with this certificate.
A grade of B- or better is required for a student’s certificate courses, and supporting courses for certificates.