Apr 18, 2024  
2013-2014 Catalog 
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Kinesiology - Health and Fitness Specialist Specialization, BS

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Degree Type

Department of Physical Education, Health & Recreation, College of Humanities and Social Sciences

87-96 credits

Introduction/What is the Study of Kinesiology?

This major provides a concentrated study of human movement from mechanical, physiological and pathological perspectives. The program is appropriate for students who plan to work in the fitness/exercise industry or any other field such as coaching or rehabilitation, where human movement and exercise prescription are the focus. Additionally, this degree can serve as the gateway degree to the allied health professions (i.e., physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant) or preparation for post-baccalaureate study in other areas such as exercise physiology, health/ fitness, biomechanics, physical therapy, sport psychology, nutrition, and human growth and motor development. Supporting courses from biology, chemistry, computer science, communications, health education and physics are included to provide more in-depth analysis of principles associated with human structure and function.

Why Consider a Health and Fitness Specialist Specialization in Kinesiology Major? 

Health and fitness specialist professionals work in the health and fitness industry. The program prepares professionals who are skilled in evaluating health behaviors and risk factors, conducting fitness assessments, writing appropriate exercise prescriptions, and motivating individuals to modify negative health habits and maintain positive lifestyle behaviors for optimal health. Health and fitness specialists conduct these activities in the university, clinical, corporate, and commercial or community settings where their clients participate in health promotion and fitness-related activities. This specialization is also appropriate preparation for graduate study in exercise physiology and cardiac or pulmonary rehabilitation.

The Kinesiology major is in very high demand at Western.  WWU students are strongly urged to declare the Kinesiology major early in order to be connected with a departmental advisor and to develop a plan of study. Once declared as a major, however, students are not assured access to courses offered in the Kinesiology major until they have accumulated a significant number of credits, allowing them to register when there is space open in the desired classes. It is often not until late in the junior year or at the start of the senior year that students can start the core classes required in the Kinesiology major due to its popularity. Some required and elective courses for the Kinesiology major that are offered in other departments can be taken prior to Kinesiology courses.

 Contact Information

General Kinesiology
Sherena Geariety
Carver Gymnasium 102

Health and Fitness
Specialist Advisor
Lorrie Brilla
Carver Gymnasium 26

Program Coordinator
Gordon Chalmers
Engineering Technology 275

 Sample Careers

Wellness Coordinator | Health Club Manager | Personal Trainer | Fitness Product Sales | Pharmaceutical Drug Sales | Biomedical Research &/or Sales | Athletic Trainer* | Nutrition Specialist* | Graduate School in Kinesiology*
*with post-baccalaureate study 

 Major/Career Resources


How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):

Contact the Kinesiology- Health and Fitness Specialist Advisor, Lorrie Brilla, to declare the major and develop a plan of study. To explore other Kinesiology specializations, contact Sherena Geariety to be connected with an advisor.

Advising Tips: Students are advised to declare the kinesiology major as early as possible in order to be connected with a departmental advisor and develop a plan of study.
See departmental advisor, Lorrie Brilla, for selection of courses. Students may request to be advised by another KIN/PE program faculty member. To request a new advisor, contact faculty member you would like to be advised by and ask that person to serve as your advisor.

Registration: To determine if you can register for a PE, KIN or HLED course in Phase I or Phase II, obtain a “Class Access” document from the Kinesiology and Physical Education Program website.

Grade Requirements

A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Degree Type