Jul 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog 
2023-2024 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Food Security and Policy Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of the Environment

Department of Urban and Environmental Planning and Policy, College of the Environment

26-36 credits


Our agricultural web includes all that we require to grow, process, and distribute food. Certainly, eating means participating in a huge cultural-political-environmental system that ends with us, the consumers. For many in our society, however, getting better food is a secondary problem. Getting enough food is the primary problem. We can’t talk about food and agriculture without acknowledging the severe inequities that exist in our society in who has food. Food is about more than taste and even nutrition; it’s also about who can afford it; who has acces to it; and who has the time, energy, and facilities to prepare it.

Why Consider a Food Security and Policy Minor?

There are many opporunities to connect to work around food and farm policy on a number of scales. In addition, there is a need for holistic nutrition and food planning. Specialists are needed to work in government and nonprofit organizations to help in outreach around food programs and connect families to food. This includes writing curricula, and/or participating in garden-to-table programs. Growing food, and participating in permaculture as primary producers, is essential for understanding complexities and challenges of our food system.

 Contact Information

Department Chair
Nabil Kamel
Arntzen Hall 230

College of the Environment
Professional Advisor

Kathryn Patrick
Environmental Studies 539

Urban Sustainability
Faculty Advisor

Paul Stangl
Environmental Studies 207

 Sample Careers

Policy Research Analyst | Food and Agriculture Analyst | Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Coordinator and/or Staff | Food Program Manager | Food Security Coordinator | Hunger Corps Coordinator | Sustainable Agriculture/Farming Manager | and Policitical Activist/Lobbyist

 Major/Career Resources


How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):

At any time, you can declare yourself as a Food Security and Policy Minor in the College of the Environment advising office, ES 539. Your professional advisor can help you understand graduation requirements and how to navigate through the College of the Environment curriculum. Your faculty advisor guides you in which courses to take, and when, and gives you advice about internships and how to prepare for graduate school or a future career.

Grade Requirements

A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.


Security and Structural Change Courses (7-10 credits)

❑ Complete two courses from the following list. At least 15 upper division credits are needed to complete this minor. The UEPP courses in this category do not have prerequisites. Declaration into this minor does not guarantee access to the higher level courses that have prerequisites.

Electives (minimum 5 credits)

❑ Complete 5 credits of electives under advisement.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of the Environment