Feb 22, 2024  
2023-24 Western Washington University Catalog 
2023-24 Western Washington University Catalog

Environmental Science Extension Major, BS

Location(s): WWU - Everett, WWU - Port Angeles, WWU - Poulsbo

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Location

Department of Environmental Sciences, College of the Environment - Salish Sea Region

109-110 (preparatory courses and major)


Students wishing to complete an Environmental Science major in four years should complete the general chemistry series during their freshman year and the general biology series during their sophomore year. Prospective environmental science majors are strongly advised to take additional preparatory courses that provide a strong background in chemistry, biology, and mathematics. The preparatory courses are listed with the major; preparatory classes may also be used to fulfill GURs. All preparatory courses required for admission should be completed on a lettered or numeric grading scale, not P/NP, and must be completed with a grade of C- or better. This Environmental Science major is offered at Salish Sea Region locations. Exact locations are listed in the Extended Education section of this catalog.

Why Consider an Environmental Science Extension Major?

Are you excited by how natural systems work? Do you want to solve the problems of the natural environment caused by human activities? Do you love to work outdoors? Do you love the sciences and scientific inquiry? Then Environmental Science is for you.

 Contact Information

Department Chair
Ruth Sofield
Environmental Studies 344

Academic Program Director
for the College of the Environment
- Salish Sea Region

Jenise M. Bauman
Western Washington University
1000 Olympic College Way
Poulsbo, WA 98370

 Sample Careers

Wildlife Biologist | Naturalist | Endangered Species Biologist | Environmental Inspector | Environmental Scientist | Fisheries Biologist | Marine Biologist | Safety and Health Specialist | Park Ranger | Aquatic Toxicologist | Wetlands Ecologist | Biological Survey | Water Resources Specialist | Environmental Chemist | Soil Conservation Specialist | Environmental Restoration Scientist | Environmental Consultant | Environmental Regulator

 Major/Career Resources


How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):

Applicants are instructed to complete a Direct Transfer Associates (DTA) Degree from the community college that the student is currently attending. College of the Environment - Salish Sea Region advisors work with advisors and faculty at partnered community colleges to advise students to take preparatory classes during their freshman and sophomore year. Once students have completed, or are completing, the Associate Transfer Degree and required courses, students may apply to the College of the Environment - Salish Sea Region and Western Washington University. Community College equivalent courses of BIOL 204, BIOL 205, BIOL 206, CHEM 121, CHEM 121, CHEM 123, MATH 124, and PHYS 114 must be completed with a C- or better for application to this major.

Questions, contact 360-394-2756 or cenvssr@wwu.edu.

A pre-advising session should be scheduled to determine readiness for application.

Formal application is made to Western Washington University through the Admissions Office online application process. Once admitted, students will work with a College of the Environment - Salish Sea Region program manager to select a depth and specialization area by the end of the first fall quarter. 

Outline for Application Process:

  • Make a note of the application deadline(s) for Fall Quarter admission.
    • Financial Aid Priority Deadline: January 31
    • Priority Application Deadline: March 1
    • Final Application Deadline: June 1
  • Apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov; WWU School Code 003802
  • Schedule a pre-advising appointment with cenvssr@wwu.edu to determine readiness for the application
  • Complete Transfer & Post-baccalaureate for Location Program Admission application submitted by the application deadline
  • Submit the $65 application fee 
  • Request an official transcript from institutions where you have earned prior college credit. If you previously attended WWU, it is not necessary to provide WWU transcripts or other transcripts previously submitted to WWU. Have the official transcript sent electronically or in a sealed envelope to:

Western Washington University Office of Admissions
Old Main 200, MS 9009 516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225 

Grade Requirements

A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.


Major (65 credits)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Location