Dec 01, 2023  
2022-2023 Catalog 
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Educational Administration, with Comprehensive Assessment, Non-Thesis, MEd

Graduate Faculty

Bruce, Tim, PhD.
Hunter, Joseph, EdD.
Larsen, Donald E., PhD.

Graduate Program Advisor: Dr. Tim Bruce, Miller Hall 418C, 360-650-3090,
Program Manager: Carola McGowan, Miller Hall 417A, 360-650-3714,
BC Graduate Program Advisor: Duane Penner, 360-525-0850,

Program Goals

The Educational Administration program is designed to prepare elementary and secondary school teachers and ESAs to assume leadership roles as principals, vice principals, program and department leaders, or instructional technology specialists. Candidates receive a master’s degree and/or are recommended for principal certification after completion of a year-long internship.

The Educational Administration program is offered on the Bellingham main campus as well as at various sites around the greater Puget Sound area including lower British Columbia and distance learning options.

Application Information

Prerequisite/Supporting Materials:

  • Three years of documented successful school-based instructional experience with students (e.g., teaching or ESA employment).
  • Submit the online application for admission to the Graduate School:
  • Valid Washington State teacher or ESA certificate (if using an ESA certificate, include a letter from your supervisor describing your assignment and service that supports successful school-based instructional experience with students).
  • Prerequisite Experience for a Principal’s Certificate (Form OSPI/CERT 4001F-C).

Please submit the online application for admission to the Graduate School:

Additional Information

Comprehensive Assessment

Woodring College of Education Educational Administration students are required to complete a comprehensive assessment. The format, timeline and criteria are defined by specific departments. For procedures, students should see their graduate advisors.

Second Master’s Degree

Enrollment must be for a single MEd, MA or MIT program. Students who have earned an MEd or MIT may apply for admission to another MEd program but all requirements of the second program must be met (with possible allowance for some course work taken in the first program). However, all programs must be completed with the minimum number of required credits.