Jun 22, 2024  
2019-2020 Catalog 
2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Residency Administrator Certificate (Principal)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study

41 credits

(29 credits of coursework plus a 12 credit, year-long field experience)

See wce.wwu.edu/edad/residency-administrator-certificate-principal for specific details.


Designed for educators who hold a master’s degree or are currently enrolled in a master’s program. Candidates earn the Washington State residency administrator certificate (principal).

Why Consider a Certificate in Residency Administrator (Principal)?


 Contact Information

Don Larsen
Miller Hall 418D

 Sample Careers


 Major/Career Resources


How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):

All applicants must complete the Graduate School online application. This secure process includes credit card payment of a $100 application fee and instructions for providing the following materials:

  1. Transcripts: from the institution that awarded your master’s degree. If you previously attended WWU, please upload your academic history with your online application.
  2. Letter of intent stating a) why you want to become a school administrator, b) how your understanding of diversity relates to improving learning for all students, and c) your goals and objectives as an education leader.
  3. Résumé outlining your education and professional history.
  4. One copy of valid Washington State certificate (teacher or educational staff associate). If submitting an ESA certificate, you must include a letter from your supervisor describing your assignment and three years of service that supports successful school-based instructional experience with students.
  5. Prerequisite Experience for a Principal’s Certificate (Form SPI/CERT 4001F-C) Professional Reference Forms (3): One each from two building-level administrators, and one from a district-level administrator.
  6. Candidate Information Form

Prior to submitting an application, interested applicants to this program should contact the educational administration office, Miller Hall 417A.

Application Deadlines

To receive full consideration for admission to this program, applicants must submit all application materials by the following deadlines:

         Fall Quarter: August 1
         Winter Quarter: October 1
         Spring Quarter: February 1
         Summer Quarter: May 1

Program Requirements


  1. Master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. Valid Washington State teacher or educational staff associate (ESA) certificate.
  3. Three years demonstrated successful school-based experience.


  • Washington State Requirement: All candidates for the residency principal’s certificate must spend 540 hours in a full school-year field experience, of which at least one half shall be when students and staff are present.
  • Mentor Supervision: The intern shall be under the supervision of a mentoring principal or vice principal certificated at the appropriate level with a minimum of one year of experience in the role.
  • District & University Approval: In addition to getting University approval on all internship arrangements, candidates must initiate and satisfy any internship approval procedures required by their district.
  • University Credit: 540 hours of field experience (EDAD 592) translates to (12) credit hours in one academic year; i.e., three consecutive quarters of (4) credits each.

Admission to the internship is separate from admission to the certificate program and is based on an individual evaluation of the candidate’s preparation and experience.

Additional Information

NOTE: Evidence of good moral character and personal fitness is required if the candidate does not hold a valid Washington educator certificate at the time of recommendation for the administrator certificate. Instructions and forms are available through the certification office: www.wce.wwu.edu/Resources/Certification/CFReq/Overview.shtml

Grade Requirements

A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study