Aug 01, 2021  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student/Faculty Designed, BS (Huxley College of the Environment)

Department of Environmental Sciences, Huxley College of the Environment


Students who wish to design their own majors within Huxley College should obtain complete guidelines from the Undergraduate Advisors located in ES 539, the Huxley College office. The major must be developed with faculty advisement and must be approved by two faculty members and the Huxley College Curriculum Committee at least four quarters before the student’s anticipated graduation.

Why Consider a Huxley College of the Environment Student/Faculty Designed Major?


 Contact Information

Department Chair
David Wallin
Arntzen Hall 310

Huxley College Professional Advisor
Kathryn Patrick
Environmental Studies 539

 Sample Careers

Career choices are determined by the student’s interests.

 Major/Career Resources

How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):

Students who wish to pursue a BS with a Student/Faculty Designed major must complete the preparatory courses and apply to the Environmental Science major first. The declaration of a Student/Faculty Designed major degree occurs after approval of the title and coursework by Huxley College’s Curriculum Committee and the University’s Academic Coordinating Commission.

It is strongly advised that students meet with the Huxley College admissions advisor as they begin their preparatory classes. Students can also declare as an Environmental Science pre-major during their first advising meeting. 

Once the student has completed the preparatory courses for the Environmental Science major they can submit their plan for their self-designed major to the Huxley College Curriculum Coordinating Committee with a brief written explanation of their major and the signatures of two faculty advisors. This must be done at least four quarters before graduation.

The Academic Coordinating Commission, a standing committee of Western’s Faculty Senate, must provide final approval of a Student/Faculty Designed major title.

Grade Requirements

A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.