Combined major offered by the Department of Management, College of Business and Economics, and the Department of Environmental Studies, Huxley College of the Environment
The State of Washington is a leader in responding to the societal imperative regarding environmental issues. This Bachelor of Arts degree in Business and Sustainability is an action component of the state’s initiatives. This degree combines three areas of study that give graduates the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to operate in a changing economic and social environment.
Graduates from this program will possess:
- A fundamental knowledge of economics, giving them the skills to apply economic analysis to problems in sustainable business faced by modern organizations;
- A fundamental knowledge of environmental science and policy, giving them the ability to understand the social and political climate as well as the scientific issues involved in sustainable business;
- An extensive knowledge of business and management in the context of business sustainability giving them the basic skills needed to succeed in organizations.
Why Consider a Business and Sustainability Major?
A Business and Sustainability Major prepares a student to analyze environmental and social issues from multiple perspectives, decide on action steps to deal with those issues, and then implement those action steps successfully. Need for these actions will only grow as environmental issues, including climate change, waste, and pollution become more central in the operations of organizations. This degree compliments the state’s initiative involving private enterprise, not-for-profit organizations, and government.
Environmental Sustainability Manager | Sustainability Design Professional | Energy Efficiency Analyst | Director of Energy Policy and Programs | Supply Chain Analyst
How to Declare (Admission and Declaration Process):
Students planning to major in Business and Sustainability should declare their major as early as possible, preferably their first year at Western through the College of Business and Economics.
College of Business and Economics:
Admission to programs in the College of Business and Economics (CBE) is selective and based upon prior academic performance and other evidence of high promise. For admission to CBE as a Business and Sustainability Major with pre-major, provisional major, or full major status, students must have completed the following requirements:
- Confirmed admission to Western Washington University
- Achieved a 2.50 cumulative college GPA (including transfer work)
Completion of the CBE foundation courses is not required to declare this combined major in management.
Complete the online application form at http://cbe.wwu.edu/cbe/students/application.shtml.
A grade of C- or better is required for a student’s major or minor courses, and supporting courses for majors and minors.