Mar 01, 2024  
2011-2012 Catalog 
2011-2012 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition and Fees

Return to: Student Services 

Student Accounts, 360-650-2865

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees include tuition, mandatory fees, course fees and additional fees. All fees are subject to change as the result of action by the state Legislature or the board of trustees. See the Description of Tuition and Fees section below for a detailed explanation of each fee.

By registering for classes, a student incurs a legal obligation to pay tuition and fees to Western Washington University. This debt may be canceled only if the student officially withdraws from Western before the quarterly deadline published on the Registrar’s website under Dates and Deadlines.

At Western the various expenses of an undergraduate who is a resident of the state of Washington are about $6,930 each quarter.

Estimated Quarterly Costs for 2011-12

Tuition and Fees 2,586.00*
Room and Board 3,033.00
Books and Supplies 340.00
Personal Expenses 571.00
Transportation 400.00
Total $6,930.00

        *Includes for students enrolled at least 6 or more credits: $70 health services fee, $39 nonacademic building fee, $25 technology fee, $95 recreation center fee, $25 transportation fee, and renewable energy fee of $0.70 per credit to a maximum of 10 credits.

         For students enrolled in less than 6 credits $12.50 technology fee and renewable energy fee of $0.70 per credit.

The table below shows the actual tuition rates by credit and student category. (Room and board and financial aid at Western are discussed in later sections of this catalog.)

Estimated 2011-12 Schedule of Tuition and Required Fees
Classification Per credit charge** Number of credit                
    1-2** 3** 4** 5** 6** 7** 8** 9** 10-18**
Resident1, Undergraduate 233 466 699 932 1165 1398 1631 1864 2097 2325
Resident1, Graduate 248 496 744 992 1240 1488 1736 1984 2232 2482
Nonresident1, Undergraduate 577 1154 1731 2308 2885 3462 4039 4616 5193 5774
Nonresident1, Graduate 571 1142 1713 2284 2855 3426 3997 4568 5139 5709
Resident MBA 275 550 825 1100 1375 1650 1925 2200 2475 2750
Non-Resident MBA 600 1200 1800 2400 3000 3600 4200 4800 5400 6000


Classification Amount per credit in excess of 18 credits** Number of credits
    19** 20** 21**  22**
Resident, Undergraduate 216 2541 2757 2973 3189
Resident, Graduate 231 2713 2944 3175 3406
Nonresident, Undergraduate 561 6335 6896 7457 8018
Nonresident, Graduate 554 6263 6817 7371 7925
Resident MBA 258 3008 3266 3524 3782
Non-Resident MBA 583 6583 7166 7749 8332
**Required fees not included:
Health Service $ 70.00
Non-Academic Building Fee $ 39.00
Recreation Fee $ 95.00
Technology Fee $ 25.00
Renewable Energy Fee^ $   7.00
Transportation Fee $ 25.00
Total $261.00
^The Renewable Energy Fee will be assessed at $0.70 per credit hour to a maximum of $7 per quarter.
Enrollment Fee (first-time students only) $250.00

A tuition estimator can be accessed from the “Pay Tuition, Housing Fees” link on the main WWU Website to assist in projecting the amount of tuition and fees that will be due the University.

See the University Academic Policies section of this catalog for an explanation of full-time status and how that affects financial aid, athletic eligibility, and veterans’ benefits.

1Residency — Under Washington State Law a resident student is defined as:

  • A financially independent student who has had a domicile in the state of Washington for the period of one year immediately prior to the time of commencement of the first day of the quarter for which he/she has registered and has in fact established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than educational, or
  • A financially dependent student, if one or both of his or her parents or legal guardians have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year immediately prior to commencement of the quarter for which the student has registered,
  • A student who is the spouse or a dependent of a person who is on active military duty stationed in the state or an active Washington National Guard member or spouse or dependent of a Washington National Guard member. Such a student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes only and is not eligible for other benefits provided to residents,
  • A student who is a member of one of 33 Native American tribes in Idaho, Montana, Oregon or Washington. Such a student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes only and is not eligible for other benefits provided to residents,
  • A student who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, but has lived in Washington at least three years prior to obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent, and has lived in Washington continuously since earning the high school diploma and has completed a Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit.

Further information regarding residency classification and statutory exemptions from the requirement to pay nonresident fees may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office, Old Main 230. Individuals seeking a change in residency classification must obtain a residency questionnaire from the Registrar’s Office, attach the required documentation, and submit it to the Registrar’s Office before the beginning of the quarter for which a residency reclassification is requested. In the absence of a completed questionnaire and supporting documentation, an individual’s residency classification will remain unchanged. 

Auditing a Class 

Students enrolled for 10 or more non-audit credits may audit a course without an additional charge. Students enrolled for less than 10 credits will be charged $10 per credit to audit a course. Students approved to register for an audit are responsible to pay any course fees attached to the course. Auditors are required to pay the full course fee for self-supporting extended education courses. See Selected Academic Regulations for restrictions on auditing. Audit fees are nonrefundable. 

Reviewing Student Accounts 

Tuition and fees are charged to a student’s account at the time they register for classes. Students are responsible for reviewing their account and for paying the balance due. Account detail can be accessed through Web4U. See the Pay Tuition, Housing and Fees link on Western’s home page.

Western bills electronically and offers the option of paying student account charges (tuition, fees, housing, et cetera) online. Billing statements are available at Web4U, which may be accessed through the Pay Tuition, Housing & Fees link on Western’s home page.

Activate your WWU e-mail account. Official University e-mail accounts are created for all enrolled students. A student must activate his or her account in order to access University correspondence.

Currently enrolled students will be sent an electronic bill notification to their assigned University e-mail account. This tells how much is owed or how much will be refunded. No paper bills will be sent. For full information on how to view and pay the student account, go to Or go to the Student Accounts website or the Student Accounts office in Old Main 360.

The University uses e-mail as its official form of communication; this is intended to meet the academic and administrative needs of the campus community.

The University expects that such communication will be received and read in a timely fashion.

Students are responsible for maintaining their e-mail account and other contact information with WWU, including current address and telephone information.

Billing Statements

Western notifies students of all outstanding balances through an electronic billing notice sent to the official Western email account. This is Western’s official means of billing. The University does not mail student billing statements. Students are notified of their outstanding financial obligations via their University e-mail account. A copy of the e-bill notification can be sent to a second e-mail address. Additional information is available from the Pay Tuition, Housing and Fees link on Western’s home page.

It is the student’s responsibility to pay tuition and fees before the payment deadline whether or not a billing notice is received.

If courses are added after the statement date or after financial aid has been disbursed, it is important to check your account online or with Student Accounts to determine if additional payment is required.

Student account information is confidential (see Appendix E  in the Appendices section of this catalog). Release of account information may be authorized by completing a Release of Financial Information form in the Student Accounts office or online through the Student Accounts Important Forms link.

Paying Tuition and Fees

E-Pay is available 24 hours a day with immediate update to a student’s account. Payment may be made online with a credit card. NOTE: Only MasterCard, Discover or American Express is accepted. A 2.75 percent convenience fee will be charged for using the credit card. Payment also may be made online with an E-check (an electronic check). E-checks are not subject to convenience fees. To pay, follow the links from the Pay Tuition and Housing link on the main WWU website. Parents or other third parties who will be paying an account must be set up as an Authorized payer by the student in order to access student account information and make payments online. Instructions are available online or by contacting Student Accounts.

Mail the remittance portion of the statement/invoice along with a check to the University Cashier, 516 High St., MS-9004, Bellingham, WA 98225-9004. Do not use campus mail for payments.

Allow seven to ten business days for mail to reach Western. Payments are credited when received, not when mailed.


  • Write your WWU ID number on the check and make it payable to WWU
  • Canadian checks must be made payable in U.S. funds
  • There is a $25 charge for the first returned check and a $50 charge for each subsequent returned check

Pay in Person at the University Cashier, located in Old Main 245 (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays). Cash payments must be made in person.

Payment may be made with cash, check or a debit card.

Drop Box Write your WWU ID number on the check and place it in a sealed envelope. Deposit in the drop box located outside the University Residences office (Edens Hall South). Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, except for the 4 p.m. cutoff on the quarterly payment deadline.

Financial Aid - All aid types, except private lender loans received as a check made payable to the student, will be applied to current quarter charges on the student’s account. Only after University charges have been paid will a refund of excess aid be given to the student. If a student incurs additional registration charges after financial aid has been applied to their account, the student is responsible for paying the additional charges by the tuition due date.

Miscellaneous charges to a student’s account, such as health center charges or athletic health fees, will not be paid by financial aid unless a student signs a form authorizing the University to use financial aid to pay these miscellaneous charges. Fill out an Authorization for Miscellaneous Charges form, available online or at Student Accounts, to allow financial aid to pay these charges.

Due Dates, Late Fees and Interest

Tuition, fees, and housing charges are due on the first day of class. Payment is late if all charges are not paid by 5pm the 3rd Friday of each quarter. After the 3rd Friday of each quarter a monthly late fee and a 1 percent interest charge will be assessed monthly to all past due accounts.

The deadlines to avoid late fees are:

Fall — October 8
Winter — January 21
Spring — April 15
Summer — July 8

Tuition due dates are posted on the Student Accounts website and the Registrar’s Office website.

Short-term emergency loans. The Financial Aid Department can assist students with a short-term cash flow problem through a variety of emergency loan programs to cover a portion of their tuition and fees. For more information, contact Financial Aid, Old Main 265, 360-650-3470.

Nonpayment Penalty

By registering, a student incurs a legal debt to the University and can be released from that obligation only by formally withdrawing within the full-refund period. The $250 enrollment fee is never refundable.

Tuition and fees and housing payments are due the first day of the quarter. Charges incurred on or after the statement date are due immediately. After the third Friday of each quarter a fee of $40 will be assessed each month there is a balance on the student’s account. Tuition due dates are posted on the Registrar’s Office and Student Account’s websites. A one percent interest charge will be assessed monthly on all past due accounts.

Changes in Student Credit Load

Students who have paid part-time tuition and fees and add courses bringing their total credit load to 10 or more will be assessed additional tuition charges, and will be charged the difference between the amount already paid and the total for full-time tuition.

It is the student’s responsibility to review their student account and pay the balance owed. Accounts can be reviewed online through Web4U or at the Student Accounts office in Old Main 360. Any balance due may be paid online or at the University Cashier in Old Main 245.

Financial Obligations

Students are responsible for reviewing their Western student account and are responsible for paying all charges owed to the University.

Financial obligations also include completing exit counseling with Western’s loan department for students who had a federal loan or federal Teach Grant disbursed while attending the University. Federal loans include Perkins loans (formerly National Direct loans), and William D. Ford Direct Loans. The exit counseling requirement is designed to acquaint students with their rights and responsibilities regarding their student loans. Exit counseling must be completed before graduation, before withdrawing from Western, or when student credit load drops to less than half time. Exit counseling is a federal mandatory requirement. Failure to complete your exit counseling constitutes failure to meet your financial obligation.

The University may withhold admission or registration privileges for students who fail to meet financial obligations to the University. The University may also withhold the issuing of official transcripts.

Unpaid balances mean your account will be placed in collection status with the University Loans and Collections office. A service fee will be added to the amount you owe.

Accounts with past due unpaid balances may be forwarded to a contracted outside collection agency. Additional collection costs of 33.3% - 50% will be assessed. If necessary, it may include costs of litigation and may result in a judgment and/or wage garnishment.

Tuition and Fee Refund Policy

*Fall, Winter and Spring quarters only (refer to the Summer Session website for Summer quarter refund policy)

Official Withdrawal from the Quarter
(School Withdrawal)

To officially withdraw from Western for the quarter, a student must contact the Registrar’s Office and make a written request to withdraw.

Students who officially withdraw from Western before the sixth day of the quarter will receive a full refund of tuition and fees. See the sections under University Academic Policies  for information on withdrawing from the University. The $250 enrollment fee is nonrefundable.

Students who officially withdraw on or after the sixth day of the quarter and within the first 30 calendar days will receive a credit of one-half of their tuition. After the fifth day of instruction, the health services, building, technology, recreation, transportation and renewable energy and course and audit fees are nonrefundable. A statutory pro rata return of financial aid is required for students who received Title IV federal financial aid. The refund policy is available in the Financial Aid Department.

Students who withdraw after the 30th day will not receive any refund of tuition and fees.

The refund deadlines for each quarter are published on the Registrar’s website.

Students who received federal or state financial aid or other support may be required to return part or all of the aid. Refer to the Policies & Procedures located on Student Accounts websites for details: See also see
Withdrawal from the University  in the University Academic Policies section.

Also refer to the following resources:

Course Withdrawal

Students who drop courses may be entitled to a refund or a portion of the tuition and fees for a given quarter depending on the time of the quarter the transaction is completed a) Courses dropped before the sixth day of the quarter may be entitled to a full refund b) Courses dropped after the sixth day of the quarter and within the first 30 calendar days may be entitled to one-half c) Courses dropped after the 30th day will not receive a refund. Refer to Tuition and Fees Rates  table provided for credit load changes **10-18 credits are considered flat rate tuition. See also Withdrawal from a Course in the University Academic Policies  section.

Refund Exceptions

Washington state law allows for exceptions to the above refund policy for medical and military reasons. Students who qualify for a refund based on one of these exceptions must contact the Student Accounts office at 360-650-2865 or in person in Old Main 360.

Description of Tuition and Fees

Tuition rates and service and activities fees are set by the board of trustees within the parameters of the state Legislature. Tuition consists of the operations fee, the capital building fee, and the services and activities fee. In addition, 3.5 percent of tuition collected is allocated to fund student financial aid.

The operations fee, with the state’s general fund appropriation, is used to support the University’s primary mission, the education of its students. This money funds instruction, library, student services, administrative and maintenance functions.

The capital building fee is used for the construction of academic facilities. It is not used for both housing and dining buildings or to support the University’s operating budget.

The service and activities fee is used to amortize, in part, residence halls, dining halls and student activities facilities; to provide the Associated Students administration; and to support student activities such as theatre, forensics, musical activities, intramural and intercollegiate activities, et cetera.

In addition to the 3.5 percent of tuition and services and activities fees used for institutional financial aid, one-seventh of the additional tuition revenue that would otherwise be collected as a result of the resident undergraduate tuition increases in excess of seven percent per year is used to provide additional financial aid to resident undergraduate students.

Disclosure of State Support to Higher Education Students

For 2010-11, Western received approximately $3,855 per full-time equivalent resident undergraduate student and $8,911 per full-time equivalent resident graduate student from the state of Washington. The appropriation received from the state represents approximately 39 percent of the educational costs for students. The remaining 61 percent is covered through the tuition operating fee.

In addition, state-funded financial aid per student was approximately $1,290 for undergraduates and $816 for graduate students.

Non-resident undergraduate and graduate students operating costs exceed the cost of instruction therefore, state support is not applicable for these categories.

This information was provided in compliance with RCW 28B.76.300.

Other Mandatory Fees

Enrollment Fee
A one-time $250 enrollment fee is charged to all newly matriculated students, not including extension or graduate students, upon registration for their first quarter of attendance. This fee is nonrefundable.

Green Energy Fee  
This fee is assessed to all students at $.70 per credit hour to a maximum of $7.00 per quarter. The sole purpose of this fee is to fund the purchase of renewable energy. The renewable energy purchased from this fee will be used to reduce or eliminate the University’s use of energy generated by traditional nonrenewable resources. This fee is refundable on the same schedule as tuition.

The following fees are assessed each quarter to all students registered for 6 or more credits on the Bellingham campus and are nonrefundable after the fifth day of the quarter.

Health Service Fee 
$70 per quarter

The Health Service fee is used to establish a standard of health care for Bellingham’s campus and as a contingency for emergency services. For more information contact the Student Health Center at 360-650-3400.

Student Recreation Fee 
$95 per quarter

The student recreation fee is used for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the Wade King Student Recreation Center. For more information, visit

Non-Academic Building Fee 
$39 per quarter

This fee is used to fund the improvement and development of the Viking Union Complex on the Bellingham campus. For more information, visit

Technology Fee 
$25 per quarter for students enrolled in 6 or more credits, $12.50 enrolled in 1-5 credits per quarter

This fee is used to upgrade and expand the University’s technology equipment, facilities, and software on the main WWU campus. For more information, visit

Alternative Transportation Fee 
$25 per quarter

This fee is used to provide transportation resources, including WTA bus passes and daily late night and Sunday daytime student shuttle service. For more information, visit or contact the Sustainable Transportation Office by phone at (360) 650-7960 or email

Miscellaneous Fees

Parking Permits 
For parking and traffic regulations, see Appendix I. Quarterly Rates.  All parking rates are subject to change. Rates do not include sales tax.

Quarterly Total  
Campus resident parking


Adjacent (C zone) commuter permit


Peripheral (CR) resident


C-Car pool permit


Motorcycle Parking


Extended Student Services Fee 
$7 per credit

This fee is charged on self-support extension (see Self-Supporting Tuition and Fees section under Tuition and Fees- Extended Education heading). This fee is used to purchase equipment, interpreters, and resources for students with certified learning needs, and to fund the development of distance education activities for self-support courses.

Student Health Center  
An optional medical insurance plan is available to eligible students. Contact the Student Health Center for details.

Special Examination Charges 
Course challenge, $30 per credit.

Residency Teacher Certification
$118 teacher certificate application fee.

The Residency teacher certificate fee includes Washington State and WWU processing fees.

Official Transcripts 

Requests should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office one week in advance of need. A transcript will not be issued for persons who owe money to the University. Unofficial faxed transcripts are $15.  There are additional fees and charges for FedEx transcript orders.  Transcript ordering information and options may be found on the Registrar’s website.

Degree Application Fee 
$40 degree application fee

Late fee for applying after the deadline: $25.00

Other Special Course Fees 
Students registering in certain courses are charged additional fees for purchase of special laboratory and studio supplies and for special services such as music practice room rentals. These fees are listed with each course in the online Timetable of Classes.

Audit Fees
Full fee-paying students (10 or more non-audited, main-campus credits) may audit a course without an additional fee (excluding course fees). Part-time students may audit courses for $10 per credit.

Late Registration/Late Course Adds 
$10 per credit

A fee of $10 is charged if a student registers initially after the fifth day of instruction in a quarter. A fee of $10 per credit is charged if a student adds a class after the second week of instruction. Either action requires written permission of the course instructor, department chair, and Registrar.

Associated Student Legislative Action Fund (LAF) 
$2 per quarter

During registration, students are given the option of contributing $2 to support the Associated Student Legislative Action Fund (LAF). This fee can be added or removed from a student’s account until the quarterly tuition due date. The WSL represents student interests in the state Legislature. For more information, call 360-650-7349.

Financial Aid and Other Support

Students who have applied for financial aid should receive a “Financial Aid Award Letter” from the Financial Aid Department. The Award Letter will show the amount of financial aid and other support a student will be receiving.

Financial aid (Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, scholarships, grants and waivers) and other support is applied to tuition and fees first, then to University housing, and then to miscellaneous charges (if the Miscellaneous Charges form has been completed).

Financial aid and other support in excess of University charges will be disbursed by:

  1. Direct Deposit into the student’s checking or savings account. Enrollment forms are available in the Student Accounts office, Old Main 360, or online through Student Accounts “Important Forms” link, or
  2. Check mailed to the student’s mailing address (this may take three to four days longer than direct deposit).

    If financial aid does not pay everything the student owes, the student is responsible for paying the balance by the tuition date.
    Students who withdraw from some or all classes may be required to return part or all of their aid. See Student Accounts for details regarding treatment of federal student aid when withdrawing.

Tuition and Fees - Extended Education

Estimated 2011-12 Self-Supporting Tuition and Fees

Extension Education:
Undergraduate $216 per credit*
Graduate $270 per credit*
Online Certificate $216 per credit*
Online (Independent Learning) $186 per credit*
Correspondence (Independent Learning) $100 per credit
Correspondence registration fee (nonrefundable) $25
Individual credit option $50 per credit
Summer Session - See Summer Session website for summer Tuition & Fees. 

*Does not include $7 per credit Extended Student Services fee.

All self-supporting tuition and fees are subject to change without notice. Variable course fees apply to the Professional Certificate programs. Contact Extended Education and Summer Programs for current rates.

Fee reductions and tuition waivers are not applicable to self-supporting extension courses.

Self-Supporting Tuition and Fees Refund Policies

A full refund of all tuition and fees paid are given if a class is canceled or a registration is not accepted. All requests for refunds must be in writing (e-mail requests are acceptable).

Credit and Online Courses

Full refund — same as regular Western policy or before the second class meeting, whichever is later.
50 percent refund — same as regular Western policy
No refund — same as regular Western policy. No refunds are given after the first 30 calendar days following the first day of Western’s Bellingham campus quarter.

Independent Learning course
(including correspondence and contract courses)

No refunds are given after 30 days from the date of registration. If assignments have been submitted, a prorated service fee is deducted from the refund. The registration fee is nonrefundable.

Non-credit and Professional Development Courses

Full refund – is available until registration closes. After the 1st class and before the 2nd class, a full refund (minus registration fee and processing fee.)
No refund – will be given except in cases of documented personal/family, health, or unavoidable job issues after the 2nd class. Such refunds will be prorated based on attendance.

Summer Session

See Summer Session website for the refund policy for summer fees.

Return to: Student Services