Apr 21, 2024  
2010-2011 Catalog 
2010-2011 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Appendix B - Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedure

Preamble. Western is required to adopt policies and programs aimed at preventing and responding to allegations of sexual misconduct in accordance with the 1992 Federal Higher Education Act Amendment. Sexual misconduct has a serious impact on the quality of the educational and work experience. Western is committed to the prevention of sexual misconduct on campus and to the timely resolution of complaints.

Policy. It is the policy of Western Washington University to provide an environment in which students, staff, and faculty can work, live and study free from all types of sexual misconduct. The range of sexual misconduct includes sexual harassment, sexual intimidation, sexual coercion, sexual assault, and rape. The University will act to prevent and eliminate such behavior. Individuals who engage in such behavior will be subject to sanctions, including written reprimand, termination, or expulsion.

The University is committed to a comprehensive educational program to promote awareness and prevent the full range of sexual misconduct. The University will provide a range of on-campus or referral services to students, faculty, and staff who have experienced sexual misconduct. Services may include short-term personal counseling, health care assistance, and assistance in changing academic, employment, or living arrangements as appropriate. The campus community will be informed of appropriate reportage procedures for individuals who wish to bring a criminal charge, including the need to preserve physical evidence to document the situation.

The University will maintain a comprehensive response system for addressing individual cases of sexual misconduct. The system includes support and guidance services, as well as an integrated response system for reports received by the University. Those systems are referred to in the Sexual Misconduct Procedure section (Appendix G, Section B) of this document. Recognizing that individuals involved in situations of alleged sexual misconduct may have differing perceptions, the University has established clear definitions, processes, and consequences for addressing cases.

Seeking Advice Recommended

Persons who believe they have been subjected to a form of sexual misconduct are encouraged to seek advice, personal counseling, and information on reporting processes as detailed below. Individuals will be informed about medical assistance, supported in reporting to appropriate law enforcement agencies and filing a complaint with the University, and notified about procedures for changing academic, employment, and living arrangements.

Services for Students

Students who claim to have been subjected to sexual misconduct are encouraged to seek advice and assistance from the Counseling, Health and Wellness Services Center; the University judicial officer; or the Equal Opportunity Office, in cases of sexual harassment.

Services for Employees

Faculty, staff, and administrators who claim to have been subjected to sexual misconduct are encouraged to seek advice and assistance from the WWU Employee Assistance Program; the Equal Opportunity Office; or their health care provider.

Complaints Against Students

Sexual misconduct complaints against students will be subject to the policies and procedures detailed in the Student Rights and Responsibility Code. That code (Chapter 516-23 WAC) may be found in the University catalog. The University conduct officer may be contacted to initiate this procedure. For incidents which occur in the residence halls, this process may also be initiated by contacting the appropriate residence hall director.

Complaints Against Employees

Complaints against any University employees shall be subject to the procedures outlined in this document or relevant disciplinary procedures. The Equal Opportunity Office shall be contacted to initiate this procedure if appropriate.

Filing of Criminal Charge

Individuals who wish to file a criminal charge related to sexual misconduct should contact the University Police or the police in the jurisdiction in which the incident occurred.