Every effort has been made to provide accurate information. Policies and information may have changed since publication. Please consult with the appropriate University department or office for possible revisions. For department information, call the University at 360-650-3000.
This catalog is available in alternate formats by calling the ADA Coordinator at 360-650-3307 (voice) or 360-650-2535 (TTY).
Policy on providing equal opportunity and prohibiting illegal discrimination
This policy governs all employees, students, agents, groups, individuals, and organizations who use University facilities, and other members of the University community to the extent provided by law.
Federal and state statutes prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran, creed, and marital status. Western Washington University and a Governor’s Executive Order also prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
The Board of Trustees has pledged to make every reasonable effort to provide the resources necessary to implement this policy. Questions can be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, 360-650-3307 (voice).
- Definition. Personnel Actions – Decisions related to employment such as hiring, promotion, separation, compensation, benefits within the limits of the law, transfers, layoffs, return from layoff, University-sponsored training, education, tuition assistance, and social or recreational programs.
- Western Washington University shall provide equal opportunity to its employees, students, applicants and users of its services and facilities.
- Discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran, creed, marital status and sexual orientation is prohibited in the operation of all University programs, activities and services.
- The President of Western Washington University ensures compliance with this policy.
- All members of the University community are responsible for ensuring that equal opportunity and non-discrimination are integral parts of Western Washington University.
- Recruitment and selection policies will be developed, monitored and enforced to remove barriers to equal employment opportunity and to prevent illegal discrimination.
- Personnel actions will be administered with fairness and equity.
- Promotion and hiring decisions shall be in accordance with the principles of equal opportunity.
- Illegal discrimination in the recruitment and admission of students is prohibited.
- Western will cooperate with federal and state agencies in fulfilling obligations under the law.