An Electrical and Computer Engineering student experiments with a circuit in a teaching laboratory on campus. The Electrical and Computer Engineering, BS program expanded the number of concentration options for the 2022-23 academic year.
Catalog Policy Updates
Policies effective fall 2021
- Incomplete K grade update: An assigned grade of K will be removed and replaced when the grade change is made (either when the work is completed to satisfy the contract, or as provided by the policy if the contract has not been satisfied after one year).
- Religious Accommodations
Policies effective fall 2022
Withdrawal From a Course (temporary policy during 2021-22 academic year)
Graduation Requirements for Bachelor’s Degrees (exceptions made for ACC approved dual degree programs)
2022-23 University Catalog Highlights
College name changes
College of the Environment
Western Washington University’s environmental college was renamed to the College of the Environment in a decision by the university’s Board of Trustees in December of 2021. The College of the Environment, founded in 1969, was the first college dedicated to the study of environmental science and policy in the nation.
College of the Environment
Dr. Scott Linneman, Honors College Director, and students of the 2019 WWU Honors in Ecuador study abroad program stand at the Pailón del Diablo waterfall near Baños, Ecuador.
The Honors College was approved to be renamed (previously known as Honors Program) in late 2021. A full transition from a university program status to a college will be completed by fall 2022.
Western’s first dual degree program
An International Business German, BA was approved for the 2022-23 academic year. This is the first dual degree program at Western and is a partnership between the university and the ESB Business School at Reutlingen University in Germany. Students will attend both universities and earn degrees from each institution. For example, Western students will attend the Bellingham campus their first two years and then spend four semesters in Germany.
International Business German, BA
Electrical and Computer Engineering expands
The Electrical and Computer Engineering, BS program expanded from two concentration options to five concentration options that go into effect in 2022-23. The new concentrations of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Wireless Networking and Signal Processing, and custom concentration option were added to provide additional pathways to train students for careers in electrical and computer engineering.
Electrical and Computer Engineering, BS
New Academic Program
Critical Disability Studies
The Critical Disability Studies program builds a community that is focused on the academic study of disability as a social and cultural construct and lived experience. Working with faculty across the disciplines, students will come to understand disability as a central aspect of the human experience and a socially just world.
Critical Disability Studies catalog section
Critical Disability Studies website: hwp.wwu.edu/disabilitycollaborative
2022-23 Curriculum Highlights
Academic department name change
Education Leadership and Inclusive Teaching (was Special Education and Education Leadership)
New programs of study
Programs of study with title changes
- English — Multilingual Education Emphasis, BA, with Teaching Endorsement Option (was English — ELL/Bilingual Emphasis, BA with teaching endorsement option)
- Environmental Studies — Policy, Politics, and Governance Emphasis, BA (was Environmental Studies — Policy Emphasis, BA)
- Music, MMus (was Music, Thesis, MMus)
- Multilingual Education Minor (was English Language Learner Minor)
- Polymer Materials Engineering, BS (was Plastics and Composites Engineering, BS)
New course prefixes
- BUS (Business)
- DISA (Clinical Disability Studies)
- MLE (Multilingual Education)
- PEH (Physical Education and Health)
- PME (Polymer Materials Engineering)
List of new courses approved for the 2022-23 academic year
2022-23 University Catalog road map
- Redesign of programs of study template.
- List of courses approved for online modalities.